Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Front Lawn Fresh Cuts vol.V

your mid-week source from the Granite City

On the Playlist: lots of classic James Taylor (thanks to my father-in-law who I copied it from on our last trip to SK)

On the Reading List: Lauren Weisberger’s Everyone Worth Knowing... the one I got last month in Marie Claire, and Dean's reading it too!

Current Obsession: Jaffa cakes. As pointed about by Suzanne when I was introduced to them, it’s astonishing that three not-so-appealing ingredients (preservative-infused cake, marmalade and dark chocolate) can be so addictive when combined. I’ve limited myself to 2 a day, after I downed nearly a whole pack at the movies the other week.

Design of the Times: How cool is this chandelier made totally of paper (and just about everything else on moooi.com)?

Have an ’Art: Emily Payne creates beautiful things by taking apart average things (phone books, found paper, shoes). She's also a fabulous illustrator and you can buy her stuff here.

Blog Log: stumbled across Living The Beautiful Life recently and have been enjoying it on occasion.

Hipsters on the Web: The Dears new single is available for the sampling at Pitchfork Media. We love the Dears, partly because they are from Montreal, partly because they sing “our song,” but mostly because they are just so darn cool.

Crisp of the Week: lightly salted Doritos [a perfect 5 out of 5 stars]

Scot Slang of the Week: an array of food terms for you! monkey nuts are peanuts in the shell, streaky bacon is what we would consider normal bacon, and neeps & tatties are turnips and potatoes.

Insider Scoop: the smooth sand of the Aberdeen shoreline was imported from India decades ago. Now the ocean is starting to wash it away—hence large sections of the beach blocked off as efforts to stop it are put into place.

Countdown To: our Vancouver homecoming—two months from today!

To Do List: make Season 2 of LOST (recently downloaded thanks to our friend Manous) last for at least another week and a half.

Lastly: I love this. Japanese light animation, essentially pictures drawn in the air!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaffa cakes, highly addictive and now comes in a handy "metre" box for Christmas. Shall I drop Lorah a line to tell her what you would like from Santa?

Great to meet you by the way.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

i am obliged to point out i am not, i repeat not, reading that girly book. you are reading it to me while i am writhing in bed (writhing because girl books suck!)

Anonymous said...

jaffa cakes are not allowed in my house because i eat the whole thing in one sitting, i have no will power. (i've contemplated calling the jaffa cakes addiction helpline that's posted on the container)

Anonymous said...

Owwww pretty lights! How'd they do that? I am curious to try this Jaffa cakes you speak of. Maybe the next time I am in Vancouver (which could be Jan 29th by the way). LOL @ girly books. You better get used to them cause well....your wife's a girl and a word"smith". Oh and Amanda I give you guys 2.5 years not 5 years till you two make me an honourary uncle.

VDOprincess said...

Thanks for the link and lovely comment! I must say I'm glad you did if only so I could discover your blog. Most lovely, and delightful layout! (And do you really call turnips and potatoes "neeps and tatties"? Are they mashed together, or roasted, or what?)

Amanda Lee Smith said...

keep dreaming Fred. And I'll bring some Jaffa Cakes home... whether they last until Jan 29 is something else altogether.