Thursday, October 05, 2006

date night in Aberdeen

Last night, strolling down Union Street after a viewing of The Queen at our local indie cinema Dean noted that we can officially see our breath. The transition between summer and autumn in Aberdeen is non-existent, it seems. One minute the sun is setting at 10pm, and at the next it's gone by 4 and your fingers are frozen at the tips.

Since Starbucks closes at an obscenely early hour, we opted instead to check out a local pub/restaurant, purported by at least one Aberdonian to be the local gay hot spot. It proved otherwise and we enjoyed a pint of McEwans and a plate of nachos, with chicked doused in BBQ sauce. I guess no one told the Brits nachos are inseperable from salsa.

Dean took off bright and early this morning for the HERU retreat while I lolled around in bed for another hour. It was bliss. Tomorrow I'll follow his less pleasant schedule and catch a 7:55 train outta this cold northern town.. albeit to another cold northern town.

I'm missing Thanksgiving much to the chagrin of my hubby, but I've promised to stuff a chicken upon my return. Why do we do these silly things, and what have I committed myself to? I don't have the first clue how to stuff anything and I can't stand handling meat. ah well.

Enjoy the holiday everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a great time in newcastle with lorah!

Anonymous said...

my famous thanksgiving (or was it christmas?) line was "Ewwwwwwwww I touched a chicken!!!" Good luck with that stuffing thing. :)

Anonymous said...

every year my mom asks me to do the turkey at christmas and the one or two times i've attempted it, i just scream and drop it in the sink... it is so gross. this is why they invented stove-top. shhhh, dean will never know. ;)

Anonymous said...

i don't need chicken or turkey or stuffing, i just need my wife!

Anonymous said...

It is gross, I recommend wrapping one hand in as much kitchen towel as possible and using a long wooden spoon to prod the stuffing etc into the chicken!!


Otherwise, markies do 1/2 roasted chickens the only take 30 minutes in the oven, no one will every know!!

ps. markies is the local name for marks and spencer! I believe from previous blogs you are familiar with their culinary offerings for time/ability strapped hosts

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of wimps our generation managed to raise!
Just get your hands in there and wash, dry, and stuff the poor bird. God made us washable!