Though neither of us will admit to it, someone left the heat on last night.
I woke up this morning, flung off the duvet and wasn’t met by the usual shrill cold of an Aberdeen morning, but instead by balmy comfort—an invisible blanket enshrouding the room.
Normally this is a great thing—no need to bundle up while making the coffee and the towel’s already toasty when I get out of the shower. But here in Scotland, a warm flat equals only one thing: a big fat heating bill. Leaving the heat on is a giant no-no. Just like talking too long on the phone or opting for the chocolate Hob Nobs when the plain digestives are buy-one-get-one-free.
I confess, I’m starting to get stressed out about money, and this whole business of “what’s mine is yours” in marriage is still a bit lost on me. How can it be that Dean works at his PhD all day, while I fiddle around on the computer, and then I get to spend his money when I decide I can no longer live without a flat iron?
Since I was old enough to watch the neighbours’ kids I’ve been buying my own things… and sometimes my taste extends to the frivolous (my twin sister gawks when I come home with ANOTHER pair of jeans), but it was my money and under my spending jurisdiction.
So now that my pre-Scotland savings have dwindled into the three-digits and some overdue freelance cheques have yet to materialize, and I still have two months of groceries and a trip to Paris to fund, I’m discovering my frugal side. I had no idea it existed, but I credit my mother for passing the gene along at some point.
It’s true, living in Europe sounds glamorous, but having next year’s fashion trends at your fingertips right now is only fun when you can bring them back to Canada with you. I’m becoming a very good window shopper.
But I’m also learning to appreciate living with less. I’ve discovered the satisfaction of cooking an actual meal rather than discovering a great new restaurant, that Oxfam has just as good a book selection as Ottakars, and that I can make my existing wardrobe go pretty far by mixing it up a bit (besides if Lindsay Lohan is sporting them then I probably don't really want those white boots I spied at Office the other week).
And frankly, sharing a bed is really the best way to stay warm at night anyway :)
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
other stuff:
1. We totally caved. Last night we watched three episodes of Lost instead of the allotted two. :)
2. Lorah posted a bunch of pics from my visit to Newcastle. Good fun.
3. Don't forget to take part in the Postcard Project—no Julie, you are not required to send me poetry!
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
6 comments:
I figure that you writing your freelance mag stuff is an investment in the future. you know, two years from now when i don't have work, and you are making six figures a year!
he's right (about the 2 years-6 figures). and this blog entry is proof of your skills being put to good use. not very lucrative mind you. enjoyed your words again.
Laughted at your sauna story we've all done that! I'm sure it was dean who left it on anyway ;-) (sorry dean!) hope ur both well
love Claire (at work ;-)
Yep, it's frugal fo sho when you have daily costs in the UK! Ugh, bloody heat! Nice to cash a long-lost cheque from London freelancing today... and watch my money double instead of dwindle with the conversion. I can't wait to visit you and be on holiday so I can justify shopping sprees. :)
Always love your updates Amanda, can't wait to see you again in a couple of weeks!
it's "your" money! and sharing a bed is the best way to stay warm at night! you can pay him back for the boots, and flat irons, etc...with loving, cold foot caresses at night! that's what marriage is all about! :)
Post a Comment