Wednesday, September 19, 2007

hip kids

We're certainly in no rush, I assure you (and by "you" I mostly mean my overly concerned twin sis), but picking baby names has become one of our favourite pastimes since we've been married.

There is still a minor celebration each month when we receive confirmation that we'll be welcoming zero children into the world in nine months, but we're finally starting to look forward to the prospect.

I'm not gonna lie, though I'm sure we will relish the certain joy of nurturing and loving our very own brood, at this point what really gets us going is kids fashion.

We both paused in "aw" when we saw baby-sized Campers in Knightsbridge last month, and I never fail to stop in front of H&M kids' window display, picturing my nephews in little plaid print hoodies under a miniature sport coat, or my nieces in a wool dress with tights and ballet flats.

But rightly so, one sometimes asks, how far is too far? Would you dress your kid in white skinny jeans? At least one fashion insider seems to think this is pushing it. On the one hand, years later when their girlfriends ask to see baby pics, your kids be eternally grateful. On the other hand, who's it really for?

Funny how I can realize that the desire for hip kids is pure self-indulgence and vanity, I still can't help but get all gooey when I look at that hip kid on the ferris wheel. Sure, kids might be a few years away, but maybe I'll get a head start on the shopping ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
What presently childless woman (single, coupled, and/or married) hasn’t stopped to ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’ at the kiddie clothing of H&M, Winners, or even Superstore for that matter? Sure, I use the excuse I am shopping for my niece & nephew, but I am really mentally dressing my future children. And, though I do not consider myself a fashionista in any way, shape, or form, I would like my future children to be the best dressed kids in Sunday School, on the playground, etc., so you just might have some competition. ;)
But I have to say, monthly rejoicing . . . you crack me up.
K

Anonymous said...

hot topic of the moment. I found out last week that chloe do kids clothes.

Anonymous said...

I'm so Jealous that you have the ability to even look at the wonderful European fashions! Even though Riley is a boy, I am obsessed with clothing for him! I don't think there is ever any harm in dreaming of future children's clothing styles!

K

Anonymous said...

Where on Earth did you get these fashion genes from? Your standard outfit when you were little consisted of pull-up courdory pants and a t-shirt bought (always on sale!) at Penney's. I hope it's not too embarrassing for you to look back at the many pictures we took of you! I thought you and your sisters always looked pretty darn cute anyway!

Amanda Lee Smith said...

It was the 80's mom—I'm glad you played it safe. Cords and stripey Ts will still be a mainstay for my kids one day :)

Anonymous said...

amanda.
my name is leslie. i enjoy your blog. your perspective. your humour. your writing.
according to merriam-webster i am a lurker. lurk means "to read messages on an Internet discussion forum (as a newsgroup or chat room) without contributing". i am the one giving you hits from japan.
time to introduce myself. i have found your blog via three different friend's blogs. kristy. harmonie. karen. small world indeed. now. if this freaks you out. let me know. and i will qucikly become a de-lurker. somehow.

Unknown said...

...i do like the skinny jeans, but i think i should point out it's you that is obsessed with kids fashion. (i only like name picking).

Anonymous said...

although i'm pretty sure our future kids will be dressed in the best bargain-bin deals, i am sure we will all fall prey to the latest in kiddie fashion now and again when we have our own helpless little people to style. fun!