George Michael is on the stereo. (I love him.)
Premade pIzza is in the oven. (Made a very healthy lentil soup last night, so this is justified.)
My feet are aching satisfactorily.
I did a nine-hour shift at Starbucks today and I can officially make your blended drink to perfection. Though if you ask for a Banana Chip Frappuccino I might refuse because they are disgusting.
This is so odd, and it could just be the caffiene or the novelty of my first service job, but I came home today and could honestly respond, "Really good!" when Dean asked how my day was. Conversely, yesterday when I arrived home from my well-paid marketing communications job at the College I responded: "Lame! No one talks to me. I'm just a work horse pumping out copy all day."
Methinks this is a testament to the importance of a good workplace atmosphere. There is so much to be said for co-workers who enjoy one another's company—the only thing that could make bussing tables sound more appealing than writing press releases.
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
5 comments:
I know what you mean!
While social + mindless can only take you so far, there's something surprisingly enjoyable about a Starbucks shift (which may be why I haven't quit working there on Saturdays...that and the free coffee.)
As much as I enjoy creating promo material and event planning, sitting behind a computer all day = blech.
I giggled for a long time the first time someone told me I was a (coffeee) bar star.
Hear, hear.
Yeah... Starbucks is an evil genius. They're SO good at making you want to work for not a lot of money. It's so devious and brilliant.
I totally understand! I used to look forward to going to my shift at the Keg because my "real job" during the day was just so boring!
I echo everyone. There are many Fridays I get up in anticipation not of working at the office, but of simply being in the atmosphere of FUN after 5 pm at the pub. Who cares if I walk 8km per shift and put out my back carrying heavy trays and dealing with sauced Irishmen wannabes ("Buddy, I know that accent is not real!")? At least I can have some personality and laugh at everyone else's. Then, at the end, there's the 2 a.m. ever-so-satisfying and well-deserved pint of Russell Cream Ale or a good ol' Black & Tan to settle me tummy before going home to bed.
You enjoy that job, Amanda. You deserve it. ;)
Post a Comment