Saturday, September 29, 2007

hello, goodbye

Our family is changing.

One week ago my grandma passed away — the only "real" grandparent I'd ever had until I married into the Regier family. My parents made it home in time to say goodbye and put things in order. I had the chance to say goodbye in July, knowing Nana may not be around for Christmas. I shall miss her hilarious banter at family gatherings but we're all pretty grateful she passed away before her Alzheimers got the best of her.

But God has a wonderful way with balance. On Thursday night we gained a new family member: a niece who, at last phone conversation, had not received a confirmed name but is big and healthy and surely beautiful though we're still eagerly awaiting photos. Little Elizabeth/Sophie shared a birthday with her Auntie Jill and my best friend Julie. What a day!!!

On a totally different note, It's a busy weekend.

Last night Dean and I joined some friends to hear Nicky Cruz speak in Bridge of Don. Nicky was the most notorious street gang leader in New York in the 60s until a skinny preacher from Pennsylvania showed up in Brooklyn to tell them about Jesus—a story I read years ago in one of my favourite books, The Cross and the Switchblade. I've read the book more than once, yet hearing it from Nicky was still compelling enough to push me to the edge of my seat.
His change from murderer & heroin addict to preacher is especially pertinent as I've been meeting some of the guys at Teen Challenge here in Scotland who've undergone the same amazing transformation. It's nice to be reminded what God is capable of.

Today was a long and astonishingly busy day at Starbucks—exhausting enough to make me look forward to my days at the College next week, but not enough to convince me that applying for this job wasn't a great idea in the end.

Tonight we are going to see a band from Kendal (Lake District), provided I can bear to stand for more than an hour. Maybe I'll just stay home and have a Flight of the Conchords marathon :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I like the Elizabeth/Sophie label, maybe she should just be Elizabeth Sophia or Sophie Elizabeth to use both lovely names. :)

Anonymous said...

....yup, that's what they did. we have a new niece and her name is Sophie Elizabeth!