Tuesday, January 30, 2007

what goes around...

So this morning I picked up a moral compass (I have lifetime supply, courtesy of my mother) and opted out of a second interview for a proofreader position—on principle—since we are moving back to Scotland in six months (yes, six, so you better get your fill of us now).

I tossed most of the night debating the decision—a bi-weekly paycheque and benefits would be swell. But I've also come to like the flexibility of temping. If I had any second thoughts they were obliterated an hour after I made my decision when I was given a month-long placement: downtown, on a convenient bus route, for a rate equal to what I would have been making in said proofreader role. So that's pretty swell too.

and about Scotland... though we've been happy at home, Aberdeen still has such a warm spot in my heart. It seems like at least once a week I see someone who resembles some Aberdeen acquaintance. Because we have so few friends in Scotland, those relationships we did make seem extra special. There are obvious things to miss, like cheap trendy clothes at Top Shop and dirt cheap books & CDs at Fopp. But there are the other things, like running into friends in town, weekend markets, random adventures, the insanely comfortable seats at the Vue Cinema, British yoghurt (it's way better), and a really loving church community. so for all my talk about Vancouver being the best place on earth... well, it's true, BUT there are a few things we just don't have here and suddenly leaving is starting to feel okay.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Aww Amanda, I kinda know how you feel... it's not that you've left your heart there, but a piece of it. I envy you just a tiny bit that you get to go back to that part of your heart so soon.

Do we get to see you on Thursday? *is excited*

elysia nisan said...

Sounds like you've made a nice little niche for yourselves there - Alan's coming in July.... but it sounds like you won't be there! He's coming between 16th-31st, any chance?

Richard and Kristy said...

is Aberdeen a small place? I know that I've really enjoyed the small town living. Just walking everywhere and running into people wherever you go. Enjoy your rest at home as you look forward to going back! Hey we're having baby at Easter. So if you two want to make a trip to the small town we have room and would love to see you.

Magdalena T said...

it's good to have more than one place to feel at home in. after all, it's not so much about the place but about the people you share this experience with (and the bookstores, and the yoghurt..). congrats on the new job! any chance you'll be coming to vienna the next time around?

Anonymous said...

God has a way of letting us know when we're on (or off!) track. He really is faithful.)

Anonymous said...

that's great about your job. i am sorry you had to turn down the proofreading job, but it's so awesome to see how God provided another job in the perfect time.
and Aberdeen sounds wonderful! can't wait to come visit!