Today I chuckled through my morning coffee while reading this in Maisonneuve: a letter to Montreal on behalf of Calgary.
It made me appreciate my country... that it's massive and yet still small enough that anyone who's been to Calgary knows about Pete's Drive-In and men wearing Wranglers though their closest contact with cowboy-life is gopher shooting; every one knows that Ottawa, in spite of its lovely setting and political hubbub, is really the nation's most boring city; they know that Montreal is where the party's at and the place to update your wardrobe; they know Toronto has a superiority complex but confess that TO is entitled to its claim on multiculturalism; and of course, every one knows that we walk slower here in Vancouver, but also that we'll stop to talk, you'll have your windshield squeegeed whether you like it or not, and someone will offer you weed whether you like it or not.
I think it just became too painfully cliche when everyone started wearing it on t-shirts, but I wouldn't be too put out if someone revived the old slogan: Canada kicks ass.
p.s. sorry, I skipped over Edmonton (mall), and Winnipeg (cold, forks, art, purple city etc)
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
3 comments:
AMANDA! I LOVE Will Ferguson! He's my favorite author, actually... even though I don't admit that very often because I'm supposed to be all hoitey-toitey English major reading Tolstoy or Dickens, or a Bronte. When push comes to shove, however, I'd pick him any day. Now I'm going to spend the next several hours reading over "How To Be A Canadian" (it should be a seminal text for anyone who considers herself to be 'well-read').
it's always brilliant to remember the beautiful things about the home you love!
Hello???? Saskatoon? Most recently famous for its blizzard, but that's nothing to jump up and down about.
Post a Comment