Today I went back to my roots—the painful ones from university when i spent days on end entering numbers into a screen. Today I brought Mordor back from the dead. Today I started temping.
Freelancing has been pleasantly consistent just recently, but it's still not a steady income. i decided it needed a supplement. Never mind that my hourly temp rate is almost a quarter of my hourly writing rate, there is actually some minor satisfaction in the simplicity of having a job to do and getting it done OR not getting it done but still turning off your brain at the end of the day. Writing doesn't afford that luxury. But it's about 100% more fulfilling.
My supervisor today is a former editor who started temping, got offered a full-time gig, and ultimately sold out to the man in exchange for a regular paycheque. That's not true actually, she still does the Jazz Festival materials which is a sweet gig. And yet, I pray that i don't end up in her shoes.
Speaking of shoes, I think I may have cancer of the toe. Either that or I caught something from Dean when I wore his runners to take out the garbage last week.
This post is really just a filler before a longer post: my reading lists for last year and this one respectively. stay tuned.
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
5 comments:
yeah, don't settle for the 'norm' manda... that's def. NOT you. Keep writin' girl! And, come (jump the pond) and get a pedicure, I'll try and fix your toe.
yowzers! cancer of the toe?
temping sounds good as long as it really is temp. keeping my fingers crossed for the dream job to turn up!
you said just recently...didn't you mean just now?
hee hee, Scott you just paited the most priceless image in my head.
Congratulations on getting yourself a job. Temping makes perfect sense, since you're only here until July.
I blogged today. Amazing, eh?
Post a Comment