Monday, September 11, 2006

Reflections on crooked walking

In the past four (half)days, Dean and I have hoofed it all over the Granite City. I’m content with what I’ve seen.

While visiting Dean’s office on Friday I was witness to a debate over what’s the best neighbourhood in Aberdeen, and at this point I can educatedly say that Rosemount is it. Nicest park, best grocery, convenient coffee shops, requisite little Italian spot, 10 minutes to downtown, the hospital, the big box stores, our selected church, and 20 minutes to the ocean. Lucky for us.

That doesn’t mean, of course, that we haven’t had our fair share of curious encounters. In fact, in two days we’ve seen a disproportionate amount of crazy old people— first a man accosted us while crossing the street, grabbed Dean’s arm while emphatically shouting in his indiscernible Aberdonian accent (sounded like curses to me, but who can tell?), then this morning a gent was sweeping the same 5-inch patch of road over and over and over and over. And finally on our way home this evening we turned a corner to find a man waiting for the bus in trousers and a neck tie… nothing else.

And some photos from the past week:

Our last Canadian meal (thank you White Spot)

Air Canada comfort
Almost a full moon—enough to reflect off the icy landscape below

39 Wallfield Cres

two floors up, our front door

The yellow kitchen and our first meal—chicken tikka masala

view of the city from the kitchen window

Hot guy at the beach

the Regiers, enjoying the ocean air

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

sigh, i am going to get in trouble for this post. just to clarify--i was joking..hehe...ahh crap, i am in so much trouble.

Amanda Lee Smith said...

yup! I'd like to see what Verity has to say about it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh Dean. I see that your sense of tact is still as sharp as the first time I met you. Your both lucky you have your looks to balance it out. I said it once and I 'll say it again....you guys look marvelous! Amanda was kind enough to hand over the digits so expect a call some time this week. Peace!!

Anonymous said...

I love the new "do's"!, Although Dean would probably have to walk by me once before I recognized him. Thanks too for pics of your new 'flat'. I am excited for you guys.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Dean looks like Ringo Starr in that picture by the blue door. Looks like a great flat. Talk to you soon.

none said...

Holy Haircuts Batman!

You two are looking fine... nice pics. Good to see a bit of your 4-month home away from home.

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, the bright colored doors of Britain, I love it! Cute hair Manda, and nice choice on the first dins. Mmm... enjoy the Indian. Love you guys!

Sara said...

Oooh Amanda I love your haircut! (And Dean, I think yours makes you look very pretty, too.)

Thanks for posting... school's back in and I will do anything to avoid doing homework :).

Anonymous said...

Glad you two made it save to Scotland, and things are going well.

Ahhh you have to love those crazy Scots...atleast you can't say that life has been boring since you have been there!!

Anonymous said...

love the hair!

Anonymous said...

excellent pics dudes... looks like you are settling into your new home and neighbourhood. i was disappointed not to see a picture of the neck-tie guy... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

love the hair...so fresh and free