Welcome to "Fresher's Week"—the halls of the medical building are teeming with giddy first-year students sussing out their first day of school. I feel like sitting them down and warning them, "Don't be fooled, the sun won't last." But I'm soaking it in nonetheless.
Sushi
With the exception of some chewy California rolls, Friday night’s sushi excursion was a huge success—great salmon, good edamame, and at least one Asian person on staff to lend it a semblance of authenticity (okay, so he was Chinese). Unfortunately we were erroneously informed that no one tips in Aberdeen, so we may never be able to go back...
Supper was followed by a visit to the local indie cinema for a viewing of Little Miss Sunshine—where I laughed harder than I have since Seth Cohen climbed onto the roof of his house wearing a Spiderman mask.
Sights
Saturday we loaded our day packs and hopped a bus to Stonehaven to enjoy ocean, castle, fog and our first authentic visit to the “chipper” for some local haddock.







Social life & freakishly small Scotland
A fast clip to Gerrard Street Baptist landed us there five minutes early—enough time to get chatting to a pair of newly-weds beside us, Iain and Suzi. Incidentally, Iain has just started working at the church and (it seems) they are two of the most connected people in Aberdeen.
At the end of the service we met at least a dozen fabulous people, so we stuck around for lunch, and then accepted an invite to an city-wide worship event in the evening.
The world seems small when you sing the same songs in Scotland that you do at home, but it seemed especially small when I met a girl at the end of evening who’d spent her gap year traveling across Canada. Surprise, surprise: she spent a chunk of it in Langley. Much more of a shock however is that in Glasgow she was neighbour to Caroline Campbell—whose husband Iain I’ve worked with for two years at TWU!
This afternoon I’m having coffee with Suzi and her lovely sister Claire—a major answer to my prayers that I’d find some great girls to hang out with in Aberdeen.
7 comments:
no mention of the 'birthplace of the deep-fried mars bar?'....good post babe, but who knows, maybe there WILL be a lot of sun (it just might set at 4 in the afternoon)
God is good! I'm so happy that you're connecting with a Christian community there. No matter where you go in the world, God's family is your family.
Fun pix kids! We will have to come visit just to see the lovely UK we could never afford to get out to. :) And glad you saw L.M.S. Thought you'd like it!
So glad you're making connections; I've been hoping that would happen quickly for you! What's left of our gaggle without you saw Little Miss Sunshine just the other day... "I'm madly in love with you, and it's not because of your brains or your personality..." Loved it.
As Jessica said, its great to hear you are making connections. I am so very jealous of you both, that you guys are travelling around scotland. Keep the pictures coming, so I can feel like I am travelling around Scotland as well.
Girlfriends are definitely important, and lucky for us, girls are really easy to get along with. We have that innate knack of being kind and understanding what a new girl in town would need.
ps. Why does Dean look so grumpy in the pics? Or is it just his serious, Euro-model expression? :)
The important question here is: did you guys try the deep-fried Mars-bar? A friend who studied in Scotland claims it's delcious...
Post a Comment