These past two days I've been posing as a med student to make use of free wireless at the University's medical library. So far it's gone off without a hitch, so I guess I've found myself a new office. Before you know it I'll be pitching articles to Popular Science. It's convenient because I can take lunch breaks with my hubby who works down the hall. Today he was even so chivalrous as to take me out for coffee!
Cultural differences are becoming more aparent daily... like yesterday on our noon-time stroll when Dean and I walked by the pre-natal clinic on the hospital campus. Here it's called the "ante-natal clinic," but that isn't the anomaly. Rather, it was the three pregnant women each enjoying a smoke at the front door!
Not all differences are bad, however. For example I love having the laundry machine in the kitchen—I can do the wash and make supper at the same time. And electric showers mean you never have to worry about running out of hot water. Other great things? Free gifts with fashion magazines (books, bags, makeup, flip flops), affordable wine at the grocery store, and the most stunnig parks i've ever seen (Scots have a wonderful respect for a well-kept lawn).
Sure there are inconveninces, and I cringe every time i'm forced to throw recyclables into a garbage bin but all-in-all scotland is a-okay.
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
1 comment:
I'm glad you're settling in. Judging by the pictures that Dean posted during his last stint there, Aberdeen looks like a beautiful city. We're looking forward to visiting there some day.
Post a Comment