Friday, September 29, 2006

Hefty Jazz, Runny Nose

Work has been slow the last few days but I’ve kept busy — keeping the dust in our flat at bay (and thus my allergies also) sometimes feels like a full time job, but I’ve also been doing lots of writing, walking, and window shopping.

The mental conversion from pounds to dollars (which I still do, in spite of warnings that it will eventually drive me mad) has sucked much of the fun from actual shopping... but then, this is me we're talking about, so i'm sure I'll get over it soon enough.

Wednesday, when I came home from work I was all smiles at the arrival of my first piece of international mail (woot!) I then enjoyed a leisurely afternoon coffee with my friend (and newest commenter), Claire.

Claire is amazing not just because she’s a 24-year-old doctor, but because she and her sister Suzanne share with me the remarkable gift of being able to talk nonstop and still listen to everything the other person is saying — and it baffles their husbands just as much as it does my own! Yes, I may have found kindred spirits in Scotland.

I’m sick today, and so I spent the morning in bed with Elizabeth Bennett after yesterday’s night out on the town. At the end of the day Dean was given tickets to a performance at the Aberdeen Music Hall. It gave me an excuse to finally wear heels in this cobblestone town and we enjoyed the jazz stylings of Mr. Hefty Jazz himself, Keith Smith (who?) and some soulful southern gospel by Jan Harrington. We were suitably impressed until Hefty, while affecting his best Louis Armstrong growl, forgot the words to “What a Wonderful World,” more than once. Priceless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can you forget the words to what a wonderful world?

hope you feel better soon!

Unknown said...

something new happened yesterday at work. i had my very first scone/devonshire cream/jam (rather, preserves) experience complete with tea and imported UK goodies INCLUDING penguins and these funny little chocolate covered marshmallow cookies!! and i thought of you.

rest up and get well, my dear.

Anonymous said...

Aha.. the postal system does work, in fact. Woo hoo! Sendin random mail-things seems to be something I do. Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

oh, c'mon, Hefty’s growl and absent mindedness was cute