Last time I reflected on some differences between Canada and Scotland. The thing is, however, some things ARE universal... some of them bad: the prevalence of leggings and mini jean skirts for example. But many of them are just delightful: most notably the reliability of popular culture.
Before Dean and I left for Aberdeen (and it's worth mentioning we've now been here a week) we were totally sucked in—albeit two years late—to the television sensation LOST. Enough to have me making trips to Blockbuster every other day to drop another 6 bucks on a subsequent disc.
We finished season 1 a week before our departure, but on the plane ride over I was still nudging Dean asking, "What do you think they'll find down the hatch?" and "Do you think it's the 'Others' who kidnapped Walt?"
The most pervasive reference, however, was that disgustingly catchy Drive Shaft tune to which we all only know one line. Dean hasn't stopped singing it for two weeks.
So imagine our glee on Sunday while walking through the University campus we passed a group of students and suddenly were met with the chorus: "YOU ALL EVERYBODY!" We both stopped dead in our tracks and burst into giggles.
Much thanks is due to Fox or WB or whatever producer has managed to be so dang pervasive.
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
In other news, it's raining today which makes Aberdeen feel much like Vancouver. This also happens to be the day I arranged to carry a microwave across town from its previous owner's flat to our own.
I even went umbrella shopping yesterday but was too cheap to drop 13pounds on one at Sainsbury's. I was not too cheap, however to spend 2.70 on a copy of Marie Claire that came with a complimentary copy of Lauren Weisberger's Everyone Worth Knowing. Priorities, you know.
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
3 comments:
Lost is not just a show...it is a way of life!! I love that show. It so deep and leaves you hanging. Finally you guys get hooked on something other than crap like Gilmore Girls or the O.C. Just kidding....well sorta. You are in for a whole lot more surprises if you are only on the first season.
It is so great to catch up on your lives and enjoy some great observations, writing and stories to laugh about (such as the man with only 'trousers' and a necktie, posing as a med student, smoking pregnant women!). glad it sounds you are settling in. I'll have to get a phone call in across the Atlantic and catch up more.
nothing like good old fashioned television to bring the world together... and it's raining here too, so happy brolly season! (definitely wait for the cheap ones with the mags but beware they are pretty useless in the wind).
Post a Comment