The hunt is on, but it's no easy feat from across an ocean. Plus our favoured pick just got taken off the market b/c the current tenants extended their lease. Here's what we're left with:
The West End Open PlanPROS: Our own garden, contemporary decor, new floors, ritzy neighbourhood not far from downtown.
CONS: further from med school and supermarkets, small rooms, no tub
The Main Thoroughfare BargainPROS: in city centre, we know & trust the landlord, new gas fireplace, new kitchen, close to church and beach, across the street from supermarket, a steal at 600ppm
CONS: on heavy traffic road, far from med school
The Downtown Luxury Apartment PROS: Big kitchen, built in wardrobe, in city centre but close to med school, rotunda!
CONS: Pricey, ugly bathroom
The Two-Minute WalkPROS: across the road from med school, close to several friends in lovely Rosemount, allocated parking, ensuite!!
CONS: expensive (same price as the rotunda), but what's with the decor (or lack thereof), are those walls peach?
Turning it over to you all (especially the Aberdonians): your thoughts?
11 comments:
as someone who's always on the hunt for a good uk flat, my vote is for the 2nd one. trusting the landlord is top priority for me in the uk. 2nd priority is a fireplace and third is close to grocery store. as someone who's house backs onto a highway.... you get used to the noise. in fact... it becomes soothing to your sleep.
I would vote for the rotunda or willowbank.
The bathroom isn't all that bad, at least the tub is white. And a good location.
I like the decking outside in willowbank, but would you have to cut grass etc?!
In my humble (read 'expert') opinion there is only 1 in the running. I'll give reasons firstly why the first 3 are out:
The Main Thoroughfare Bargain: you will hate this very quickly. Living on Union St, I presume that's where it is(!?) will become wearisome and gross as the winter sets in. You are close, yes, but close to people fighting, people throwing up... just don't.
The Downtown Luxury Apartment: it is small. I know the flat personally, I rented it out to someone this time last year. And also the letting agent are very difficult to work with if you have come from abroad, what with a strict policy on credit checking etc etc. But it is nice.
The West End open plan: Not quite west end, but so nearly! It looks nice, sweet little deck... heck, I can't be bothered passing comment anymore. Short attention span...
Go for the 2 minute walk!! It will be the most pleasant area to live in by far. You'll be minutes from the Crothers' new place and the parks. Somerfield's Market just up the road. However, check about furniture, it looks a little sparse and you could probably get that rent down to 750. Do it!
Looking forwards to seeing you both!
Iain
oh crap, i hope i haven't offended your friend who owns that flat... (to friend who owns flat: i bet its really great, but i heard dean and amanda couldn't hack it...)
ummmm, sorry.
Iain
ha ha, no worries Iain. it's on King St and it's Dean's advisor (I don't think she reads). Willowbank has the great bathrooms and location (Victoria Park!) and I'm sure it would not be hard to spruce up with a trip to IKEA.
Good to know the rotunda is small—you just can't tell this stuff from photos.
Nice having our own personal property agent/pastor!
Looks like you're getting some expert advice, so I'll keep out of it. I will pray, however, that God will give you insight into the best choice. Whichever you choose, we look forward to our visit there in Sept.
hmm... i like The West End Open Plan & the Downtown Luxury Apartment! :) Happy hunting!
.....Iain, brilliant advice! I knew your expert-opinion would come in handy :)
I'd vote for being close to friends any day...
Hello! We (thr Cro's) say go for the 2 minute walk!! It will be about a 4 minute walk from us (as Iain pointed out). I would certainly agree no to King street (noisey and studenty). The only problems I see other than some dodgy decor with the others is they aren't exactly close to the hospital. Looking forward to you guys being back and we will come visit you no matter where you choose ;-) love Claire x
Dave says the advice offered is good. Willowbank NOT west-end!! Iain your wasted in that office - ChristianRelocationadvice.aberdeen.gsbaptist.org (do some MR).
I heard you were coming and have departed the area. But Cheryl is still there so will be a reasonably regular visitor.
Post a Comment