Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Battlestar Ga-crap-tica

I blame Trevor.

When I married Dean I knew he wasn't your typical "cool" guy, but at least he wasn't a sci-fi nerd. I thought.

It started slowly: "I'll just rent the mini-series and see if Trevor's right."

Then gradually I found myself in bed alone reading while Cylons and humans duked it out in the living room, Dean looking on. Eventually "Starbuck" wasn't merely a coffee we enjoy, women could be president and Vancouver was a cylon-ruled wasteland. I would be asleep when my own newly minted sci-fi nerd crawled into bed.

You've heard of Golf Widows? I had become a Battlestar Widow.

Fortunately Dean's busy work schedule means he's less likely to go out to the videostore, so things slowed down for a while and I got to enjoy quiet evenings with hubby again. Then we discovered tv-links.co.uk. Trips to the video store became obsolete and thus, so did my Space-channel-free existence.

The topic came up last night while we (Dean, myself, Trevor and Kelly) sat in the crowd at Bard on the Beach waiting to see The Taming of the Shrew.

I was waxing eloquent about how, in spite of seemingly progressive turns the genre has taken with this show, I still can't handle sci-fi and find the dialogue predictable and dull. Mid-sentence I looked up at the crowd and pointed.

A: Funny, that lady looks a lot like the President from Battlestar
K&D: [bite their tongues from saying, "oh don't be silly Amanda"]
T: That IS the President from Battlestar
D: and that's Apollo beside her!
A: [simultaneously smug and shocked and feeling guilty for bashing the show] yeah!

We all stared unabashedly for a little while and during intermission made the requisite (and unfulfilled) bets about whether Trevor had the guts to go up to them and say "Battle Staaaaar" in his best impression of Mary Katherine Gallagher :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three things bothered me about that show:
1) The fact they filmed all the city scenes at SFU and Kelowna was disorienting.
2) Even though they're being chased by killer robots you'd think someone would crack a joke once in a while, you know lighten the mood.
3) It's the most frustratingly implausible show on TV (worse than Lost).
3a) Where did all the non-white people go? It's Vancouver couldn't they have found some Asian actors?

I could go on like this for a while . . .

(From Scott whose blogger account was killed by Google)

Anonymous said...

You saw apollo (ahhhh)!!!!

A friend lent me the DVDs of the pilot and series 1 & 2. I watched them when Rainer was out of town at Easter. I was totally hooked.

Amanda you will be please to know Rainer hates 'stinkyship galactica'. Not just because he think the show stinks but he also thinks they look like they stink as well.

Amanda Lee Smith said...

ha ha, Scott and Verity, you two just gave me my biggest laugh of the day!

Richard and Kristy said...

Oh Amanda I'm sorry that your family had to step into the world of si-fi. I understand your pain as I too have a hubby hooked on si-fi. Many a times have I had to put aside my enjoyment of adventure, romance, comedy, suspense for....none other than si-fi. Thanks for the link to the tv online. I got to see the finale of my show that I missed!

Anonymous said...

I gotta side with my boyz Trev & Dean-o. Love BSG with a passion. It's so much fun and Starbuck....what can I say, bad girls are hot!! ;)

seth said...

You MUST watch BSG! it's the human drama that makes it so good. and i am utterly jealous of your sightings of rosilyn and apollo!

and being a BSG fan just shows good taste, not geekdom. (well, maybe just a little)

Maria said...

THANK YOU for that link with the links to all the tv shows! really enjoying it at the mo :)