Research for an eco-stewarship article I'm writing is bringing out a whole new side of me. Suddenly I'm walking around in near darkness, meticulously separating recyclables, eyeing my car suspicously and taking cold showers.
It's hard to feel extreme though when there are guys like No Impact Man making their mark (or NOT making their mark, as it happens) on the earth. Check it out: no waste, no driving OR subway, no elevators, no AC, not even toothpaste. Interested to see how a year of no impact unfolds.
***************************************************************
and on the topic of activism (sorta), Keela sent a link to an inspiring interview on the Hour: George Stroumboulopoulos talks to Tony Campolo. A brilliant conversation about our Christian responsibility to care for the poor, and very worth watching. (and even if you're not a Christian, who doesn't love George Stroumbo?!)
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
5 comments:
I'm a big fan of Mr. Campolo. My mom wrangled up the family last Christmas to watch one of his seminars (Carpe Diem) and I was hooked. I even subscribe to his podcasts. A Christian Sociologist who cares for the poor. Who woulda thunk?
I liked the interview with Tony Campolo, thanks for sharing. About 'No impact man'... interesting. Recycling is cool, being anti-Hummer (especially when it's only used for one or two people) is good, but I'm glad you're not like him. I might have to make fun of you a little bit.
hey, I'm just getting caught up on your blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. The eulogy/love story you wrote for your grandfather was absolutely beautiful—you had tears streaming down my cheeks as he climbed those stairs to greet your grandmother. The best comfort in the wake of a loss, it seems, is the ability to recall those kind of memories—and to use those stories as a way to immortalize the person you've lost. You did a beautiful job of doing exactly that.
Thanks for the video. That was convicting.
Umm yes. I DO love George Snuffleuffagus.... *senses another Mancandy coming on*
(notice how everyone else had something serious to say? and then there's me.)
Post a Comment