Saturday, February 09, 2008

good things: media edition

Lula Magazine - an exceptionally beautiful mag I would love to get my hands on. For now I'll content myself with admiring its pages online. If you love brilliant photography and illustration, Sofia Coppola-inspired lighting, and starlets like Zooey Deschanel and Kirsten Dunst, it's worth a peek.

Sewing books - Since the new year I've had little time for creativity and consequently a stronger-than-average desire to be creative. This book by Lotta Jansdotter is in storage back home in Canada, just waiting to be paired with a sewing machine, and this book by Amy Butler looks equally inspiring.

Kate Nash music vids - Our new gym membership means I spend a lot more time sweating, and watching music videos. Current loving: Foundations and Pumpkin Soup

Sea Spray Blue - I am a sucker for cheap chic indie art. These posters and cards border on too cutsie, but who doesn't love a little cutsie now and then?

Also - Phenomenal flash animation and web design. I stumbled upon this page and got lost in it. Checked the clock and found an hour had passed. The Etsy ads are adorable and the City Icon pages lovely.

And if you like that, you'll like what they did with artist Trish Granthams website, not to mention artist Julia Rothman's (of Also) illustration.

Gocco - How I remained ignorant to this Japanese gem for so long is beyond me, but with a little help from Leslie , I've seen the light. I've long been a fan of sceenprinted goodness (like these), and even took a two-day printing class, back in the day. But I had no idea how easy screen printing could be. I'm now mildly consumed with the idea of acquiring my own little Gocco.
In the meantime I am enjoying the gocco-ing of others, like the creator of Morris & Essex (see acorn above).

3 comments:

Leslie said...

nothing wrong with a little lotta, kate. and gocco'ing. all at the same time. would be even better.

Anonymous said...

i myself am an avid fan of Lula. It's a gorgeous mag. Little unknown fact.... the editor-in-chief is an ex-voguette. She went from being a fashion assistant at Vogue to starting Lula! Now that is a great career jump!

Anonymous said...

you weren't joking when you said you had a lot to post.

This bunch of gems will keep me entertained all week. Which of course will be a great loss for health economics!