Thursday, August 09, 2007

DIY!

Our hallway is filled with ikea boxes, floor to ceiling, but we haven't yet solved the problem of how to get the old sofa down three turn-of-the-century flights of stairs.

We're in the midst of some heavy duty "DIY" (as the Brits would call it). Our once-peach living room walls are now a gleaming white, the icky red trim is all primed for a shiny coat of pale grey, and the two alcove walls remain bare for a layer of funky Cole & Son wallpaper.

There is paint in my hair, between my toes, all over my favourite (but at retirement age) Abercrombie cargo shorts and last night I even found a smear on our shmancy new pillow cases (from Dean's elbow).

Speaking of the husband, he is currently in bed nursing a very sprained ankle. It's big and swollen and keeping him home with me for the day. If you think of it, pray for a quick recovery because 1) he's in a lot of pain and 2) we have some fun travels (yes MORE fun travels) coming up next week when my sister visits and we want him in prime form.

Got some "only in Britain" stories to come next time. stay tuned.

5 comments:

Magdalena T said...

Oh IKEA... if I could only have a dime for every minute I spent deconstructing pieces of furniture after finding out I put them together the wrong way.
Hope Dean's ankle gets well soon! Will say a prayer.

Sara said...

OH NO, DEAN!!!! I'm sending lots of love and vibes over the ocean. From one cripple to another, babe!!! Get well soon, k? I've tried shaming my leg into healing itself, but that doesn't work so well, so maybe nix that tactic.

Amanda Lee Smith said...

ha! we just watched that Will Farrel sketch last night Sara. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Sore about the ankle! bummer.

You painted your walls white? Funny. When I undertake a wall-painting project, it's always to change a white wall into a bright wall. Orange, green, blue. I'm a fan of the bold colors.

Anonymous said...

Poor Dean. How did he hurt his ankle?