Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Major Grey

Context is everything. At an Indian restaurant, for example, the subject line of this post is a very good thing (particularly at a little spot in Kirkland to which Harms once brought me). On my head, however it's nothing but trouble.

About three years ago I found my first grey hair, still only an inch or two long, and in spite of friends' warnings that it would grow back in multiples, I plucked it. Six months later it was back, and so the cycle continued. I hadn't seen the little bugger in quite some time when it showed up in the office bathroom last week. And I paid it its due punishment (extermination).

Then, two days later while leaning my head on Dean's shoulder, he claimed that he spotted one. I said it couldn't be, I only have one grey hair and I just removed it! But sure enough, he plucked out the proof.

So imagine my dismay, when yesterday I find YET ANOTHER grey strand sneering in my face. This one three inches long. Either my single grey hair has super powers, or I have officially crossed into granny territory.

I know, I know. Millions of women my age color their hair, but I LIKE my hair color and I'm not sure I'm willing to part with it just yet. And so the plucking will continue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three grey hairs in the last three years, you're laughing! I've stopped counting entirely. I'm due to inherit a head of salt and pepper, but until that's age appropriate, I dye.

In between colour jobs, I pluck, but I think it makes it worse. Seems two grow back where one once lived. But who could resist.

Anonymous said...

Fear not the grey. It might be stress. Diet. The environment that you're exposed to everyday. Some external factors that's causing your hair to turn silver. No worries. It's only three strands. When you start seeing streaks of grey, then you might wanna hit up the salon for some colouring.

Magdalena T said...

pluck away, girl. once day you'll find you're ready to age in dignity.

Unknown said...

i have 4. it's all downhill from here. might as well just let ourselves go. :)