I'm feeling a bit sheepish— I've totally jumped on the climate change train and I'm beginning to wonder how much of it is my own social conscience and how much of it is just the result of hype.
I'd like to think it's the former, but either way I'm on. Hopefully I'm becoming a better person because of it, but the fact is, my lifestyle has taken a serious turn for the worst:
+ For one thing, I hesitate to take out a half empty garbage bag (in spite of stinky cheese contained therein) because if I wait until it's full, that's one less plastic bag in the dump (thankfully Dean's concience permits such acts)
+ I caught myself drinking cold (possibly day-old) tea yesterday because I read that stove-top kettles (what we have) use way more energy than electric (which my aesthetic sensibilities and lack of counter space won't permit me to purchase).
+ Guilt over how much time I spend in the shower was preventing me from shaving my legs—I remedied the situation today.
+ I now use turning off lights and turning down heat and putting on sweaters as an excuse to put off doing work.
Perhaps we should start weighing our ecological footprint against the boot print it puts places our good habits and hygiene?
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
4 comments:
We cannot say for certain if global warming is occuring as a long term trend or what impact humans have on it.
However, we should all be aware of our environment and make an honest effort to reduce our waste.
I applaud your efforts.
Thinking at Doe Valley
You could reheat your tea in the microwave!
I know how you feel with the garbage. We have biodegradable bags but they are so expensive I don't want to waste one on half a bag of trash!!!
You know, I've found that the road to environmental and health consciousness is often one change at a time. If you do a complete 180 on your entire way of life (and hygiene!) it's overwhelming (and occassionaly gross). I find that I'll be inspired to change, say, my cleaning products. Then that becomes so natural and habitual, I don't even think about it. Then I'll get inspired to change something else. I think that those small, steady changes will make a difference in the big picture. Don't get overwhelmed, overdo it, and then get frustrated and abandon it all. The fact that you're thinking differently on this topic means you're on the road to making a difference.
Post a Comment