Saturday, November 04, 2006

brie, gouda, du pain, des raisins et une bouteille d’eau

We just finished dinner on our third night in Paris. Sigh.

This morning the ladies left to catch an early plane to Newcastle while the boys met us (albeit groggily) for un petit dejeuner in Montmartre. We climbed the steps to Sacre Coeur where we said our goodbyes. Joe and Trev are heading back to Aberdeen for a few more days of relaxation at our flat before returning home to Vancvouer.

Over our respective espresso variations we four reflected on how blessed we are to have the means and the will to spend a weekend all together in Europe. I’m pretty sure that when I was sixteen and I thought about what I’d like my life to be like a decade later, this would be it.

After a tour of the basilica, we made our way through the hordes of tourists (hard to begrudge them when we are also exactly that) and saw the former dwellings of famous bohemians and revolutionaries.

Down the hill to eat lunch (un croque madame for me and a croque monnsieur for Dean—how appropriate) and to see two places we wouldn’t bat an eye at had Hollywood not immortalized them: the Moulin Rouge and Amelie’s Café des Deux Moulins (both, naturally, less spectacular in real life).

We spent the rest of the day moseying back to the Marais, stopping at design shops (getting inspired for a future business perhaps?) and boutiques to drool now and then.

The slow pace was a nice change from yesterday’s whirlwind tour which included: the Picasso Museum, Place des Vosges, the Jewish quarter (a stop for falafel), Notre Dame, the Louvre pyramids, L’Arc and the Champs Elysees. Whew!

We’re hitting the Louvre tomorrow morning. First Sunday of the month is free—pray for us ;)

for you: some photos. and a few more from Dean














5 comments:

elysia nisan said...

Look how sweet the two of you are there :) We've gotta figure out some way to double date, though I'm not into the whole cyber-double-date thing...maybe one day we'll be on the same soil for a while.

Kyle Feenstra said...

You are in a completely different world than I am. Nice photos. Good to know you are keeping up with the camera. Say hi to Dean and dont get too busy to stay in touch.

Anonymous said...

looks like you continue to have a fabulous time! i think the flat you and dean are at is one we looked into renting as well. ah, paris. the closest we've come to the fair city is picking up a vintage map of paris at a garage sale this weekend...:)

Anonymous said...

Paris looks beautiful as always, but the loft... oh my, so cool!

Anonymous said...

Cute flat indeed! You are good with those online bookings. :) Did you have creme brulee at Amelie's hangout??? I hope so! Let me know when you're back so I can procrastinate work and make some LD phonecalls from the office... xox