Sunday, August 27, 2006

far-from-home stretch

Official off-the-continent departure date is still a safe 9.2 days away, but because we need to be packed up and moved out by Thursday a.m. we're already going through the goodbye motions.
Motions such as:
putting boxes and boxes into storage
strategically consuming leftover foods according to their expiry dates
arranging goodbye lunches and coffees
bursting into tears at inconvenient moments

So seriously, how many pairs of shoes are acceptable to pack for 4 months in the UK?

Since last time, five blissful days were spent on the Island saying farewell to the Smith fam and enjoying the luxuries of Island life (cruising in the boat, mornings on the shore with a skimboard, afternoons poolside with a novel, and evenings with meals on the deck and shared childhood reference points). The trip also brought some 26th birthday treats, including season 2 of "24" (we are embarassingly behind), fresh prawns and some pretty pieces of paper with numbers on them ;)

Upon return home we've been enjoying foreign accents—both the French ones we use when discussing upcoming travel plans, and those of some guests from Aberdeen: admitted lurker, Verity, and inquisitive Greek, Manos—in town for the week, giving me a pleasant introduction to the community I'm about to launch into.


Hm. I'd foolishly thought that unemployment would result in constant blogging. au contraire—in part because i feel guilty sitting down at a computer when there are boxes to be packed, but also "Did the dishes, walked to the bank, made supper, watched LOST on DVD" is a crappy framework for dynamic story-telling.

Thank heavens for the road and how soon we'll be hitting it.

Thursday to Swift Current
Monday to Vancouver
Tuesday to Scotland
a busy week I'd say.

10 comments:

Magdalena T said...

Wow. Good luck with everything! I am enjoying my college experience a lot, it is definitely good to leave your comfort zone once in a while and try new things.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanada. Hope all is well in married life. I like the new blog! Leaving soon eh! I better call Dean before the two of you jump the big pond. Are you stopping in Calgary for a rest on your way through?

Anonymous said...

Busy week, indeed! I'm praying for you both.

Anonymous said...

I wish you both the best of luck on your new adventure. I will pray that God will bless you both as a couple and individually.

Keep in touch

Anonymous said...

So exciting, see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! Finally found your other blog!! Too bad I missed you & Dean in Swift by 24 hours. That is life I guess. Good luck with the move. Should be fun. God Bless.

none said...

Hmm... well... I see you were keeping both Fred and I out of the loop. HAH! I found you. take that.

Anonymous said...

sorry we didn't get a chance to catch up - we'll miss you guys, but look forward to seeing you when you return! and, who knows, maybe we might be able to sneak in a trip over there for a visit!

k

Anonymous said...

Belated happy birthday and best of luck in the transatlantic move!

Anonymous said...

season 2 of '24' is AMAZING! enjoy!