Monday, July 30, 2007

A Deeside Day (our royal encounter)

We're not wasting any time getting back in tourist mode here in Scotland. Saturday took us Dee side—to the Royal highland retreat, Balmoral Castle (as seen in The Queen).

For those unfamiliar with Scottish geography (95% of you) Aberdeenshire is bordered by two rivers: the Dee and the Don. We caught a bus in Aberdeen which carried us all along the Dee to its source in the Cairngorm Mountains where the Royals spend six weeks of the year as an escape from their demanding lives. Summer seems to skip over this part of the world, but in spite of the rain we gave ourselves a good tour of the carefully crafted and maintained gardens and Queen Victoria's "summer" house.

Dean's photos of the day:





4 comments:

none said...

looks positiviely regal.

Sara said...

cool!!! how are you guys settling in? did you get a settee? makes me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a gorgeous castle!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Rain? Does this mean I have to bring my umbrella?

I managed to check out my Scotland to-do list that you prepared--fantastique! I was chatting with a friend at church who said she went in the loch at Lochness and it's quite an experience. I can't wait!