Friday, July 17, 2009

Stream House Chapel, a preview

Last night was our fifth in the new house... our new home. It feels like it already. really! Though I can see how it would be easy to unintentionally cut yourself off from the rest of the world when you're living out in a teeny country village like this.

Lest you think we are completely in the boonies, I should clarify that we're only 10 minutes from Dean's office and 15 from Oxford's town centre. But it is another world out here - one where I can forget pushy European high school exchange students and Sainsbury queues.

So what's it like? Here are some highlights:
- the inescapable soothing sound of rushing water
- friendly ducks, goose and kitty who visit us each day
- trees that envelop the conservatory kitchen and make me feel like I am snug and warm in the great outdoors
- cobwebs and their architects in every corner which I lovingly squash and dispose of
- brilliant white walls and metres of wood bookshelves
- finally, a comfortable bed
- a totally indulgent egg-shaped bathtub (no shower) which necessitates lazy morning routines
- antique chairs for curling up with books
- my first bonafide walk in closet
- a sofa bed with your name on it

I took some photos on Sunday, mid-unpack, and some later that evening when Chris and Heather joined us for dinner. More to come when things around here are finally up to snuff!






3 comments:

Magdalena T said...

Gosh, it does look like the kind of house I always dreamed I would live in when I got married... So happy you found that little gem! (Who needs showers??)

Dianna said...

Are you flippin' kidding me! I MUST come visit you at this house at some point! And here I was all thinking the Smiths' basement where Luke is moving to was the greatest thing ever! :)

Amanda Lee Smith said...

you bet sis, it's pretty awesome. I know you'll be eager to get home from Disneyland, but maybe a layover is in order?