Wednesday, January 07, 2009

2008 books

I made a few resolutions last year. All the fitness and healthy eating ones when out the window when I started commuting from Oxford to London every day. My more ambitious "Read 30 books" resolution, however, was a cinch to match and even surpass. The complete list is below. Stay tuned for my top ten picks and top five disappointments in the weeks ahead.

January
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, JK Rowling
The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
The Man of My Dreams, Curtis Sittenfeld
The Escape and other stories, Katherine Mansfield

February
On Beauty, Zadie Smith
The Kiss and other Stories, Anton Chekov
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
Run Baby Run, Nicky Cruz

March
The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
About a Boy, Nick Hornby

April
A Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
Man and Boy, Tony Parsons

May
White Teeth, Zadie Smith
Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

June
Chasing Harry Winston, Lauren Weisberger
The Emperor's Children, Claire Messud
Dreams from the Endz, Faiza Guene

July
The Friday Night Knitting Club, Kate Jacobs
Why Should Anyone be Led by You? Rob Goffee

August
Jude the Obscure, Thomas Hardy
The Wonder Spot, Melissa Bank
An Utterly Impartial History of Britain, John O'Farrell

September
Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
CS Lewis: The Boy who Chronicled Narnia, Michael White
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Slam, Nick Horby
Jane Austen: A Life, Claire Tomalin

October
One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Other Queen, Phillippa Gregory

November
Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, Marina Lewycka
The Alchemist, Paolo Coelho
The Hobbit, JRR Tolkein

December
Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
Charlie & the Great Glass Elevator, Roald Dahl
The Tales of Beedle the Bard, JK Rowling
Burmese Days, George Orwell
Coming Up for Air, George Orwell
Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that sTori Telling is going to make that top 10 list. Well, if your physical muscles deflated in 08, your literary muscles are ripped! :) Nice list, bookworm! I've read 10 on your list, and need to borrow some of the others. It's so economical to have lots of friends who read, I love it. We're our own library. This is like an email so I'll stop now.

Anonymous said...

really looking forward to your tops & disappointments! there is more than one book on your list that I've been thinking of reading..

Gill Taylor said...

Having read all the Harry Potter books for the first time ever during summer 2008, I really want to read The Tales of Beedle the Bard, JK Rowling... what's your thoughts on it?

Unknown said...

You forgot the most interesting book-my Thesis. I am SURE that will make the top 10 ;)

Amanda Lee Smith said...

oh of course! I can't believe i forgot that one! that was the smartest book I read all year.