Tuesday, September 16, 2008

crash course

It's tough being a lit-kid in an MBA world. There's a sense that one must understand words like "hedge fund", "valuation" and "strategic innovation" in order to earn the right to use them :)

So this month, in addition to polishing off my first issue of the magazine, I've been getting a business education.

I'm sitting in on the School's Senior Executive Program, partly to research a feature article, and partly to understand all this business school mumbo-jumbo.

So here's me. In a room with 52 seasoned CEOs, General Managers, and big wigs in general. From companies you KNOW. For four weeks.

It takes great feats of charm and long bus journeys considering what questions to pose in order to engage a CEO during his 15 minute coffee break during which he'd rather be checking his Crackberry. I am frequently intimidated.

I broke some ground last night when I joined the gents for an evening of winetasting followed by a dinner of mussels, frogs legs, coq au vin and also some fillet of sole on a bed of something-or-other. Wine tastings and obscure meats have a way of loosening tongues.

Anyway, it's a timely season for a crash course in business education seeing as stocks have just suffered their biggest one-day decline since 9/11.

See, a month ago this wouldn't have interested me, nor would I have even known who these unfortunate Lehman Brothers are!

But suddenly my coffee breaks are being spent in front of Sky News, shaking my head in disgust along with my fellow CEOs at the horrible state of the economy, poring over the Financial Times, thanking my lucky stars I never invested with those fools (or anywhere else mind you) and speculating about the arrival of the next Great Depression.

Business School is actually pretty easy.

6 comments:

Harmonie said...

I'm sure they all love you... no need to feel intimidated! I definitely know you can hold your own! Go get 'em tiger!

Derfstar said...

Business school is easy! Shhhh don't let that secret out. I am still trying to impress people that I am doing my MBA. How bout you say that you are so smart that business school SEEMS easy. Try that. Good to hear you are enjoying your J-O-B and thanks for the updates.

Anonymous said...

So cool...my little girl now interested in big business! & eating obscure meats? Can you send a copy of the magazine?
Love ya kid
Dad

Unknown said...

Almost ironic that they should be shaking their heads--it is those MBA-types who decided it would be a good idea to bundle up risk and sell it as a deriviative, or perhaps they are the ones who accepted a big bonus for a high-turnover of morgtage clients.

Anonymous said...

trying to sell a house in the current british economy has educated me to CEO level. crash course indeed! a potential personal loss of six figures can cause anyone to learn the terms. the great depression is almost here. feel the burn.

Anonymous said...

wow. it's been interesting days and i'm not even in 'business school'! i'm only glad that we are still young and can hopefully build up retirement funds somewhere that won't disappear through all the swindling going on out there.

great to read more posts from you! and congrats on working a 4 day in office week. that must feel better.