Friday, August 01, 2008

new stomping grounds

We've talked about the commute, now how about the job?

Fact is, all my preconceived notions about my place of employ (which I typically refrain from typing out due to the prevalence of GoogleAlerts in university press offices) were false. It's actually a pretty chill, happy, enjoyable place to work.

Contrary to my belief that my fellow employees would be stuffy and overly driven, they are interesting and interested people of all ages - I'm not the baby, and above all I'm treated as an equal by those who have been in the biz decades longer than I.

My current office is on the top floor of a row house, with the External relations team on floors below. It gets a bit lonely up here, but there is an overall sense of autonomy - as long as the job gets done then I can essentially come and go as I please. For me an ideal working environment.I cannot complain.

But what makes it worth the equivalent of a daily drive to Kamloops? The City itself.

Lunch in Regents Park. Post work shopping on Oxford street (when I can brave the crowds). And, bliss, Marylebone High Street - home of the iconic Conran shop where I can while away an entire lunch hour (who needs food when there's classic design).

I still smile when I alight from the bus in Oxford each night. It's a good place to call home. But London is a good place to pass summer days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is an UH-mazing french restaurant(a chain from france) on marylebone high street. for the life of me i can't remember what it's called but it's on the opposite side to the conran shop and not to far down. it's on the corner of marylebone and another street and has brown awnings. it's part store, part restuarant. GO. it's incredible. then buy some of the treats in the shop for your husband. PLUS, the cath kidston store on marylebone high street is the best in the city. trust me on that. oh and don't forget to pick up pastry from Paul (the french cafe chain from france). there's one on the marylebone high street as well.

Amanda Lee Smith said...

i know EXACTLY the restaurant you mean! With the epicerie next door. And I spent half an hour at Cath Kidson :) Picked up a new set of pot holders!

Anonymous said...

oh good. these things need to be enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

oh, great! the commute is huge but it does sound like your daily "london / oxford moments" make up for it! glad to hear you're happy with your choice!