Sunday, March 09, 2008

stuff british people like

Seems every other blog I visit this week is directing me to the hilarious (and spot on) website Stuff White People Like.

I take almost as much pleasure in laughing at myself and the quirky things we 'white people' do, as I do in laughing at the British and the totally nonsensical things they do (apologies to my british friends).

So, riding on the coattails of this guy's success, it gives me great pleasure to bring you:

STUFF BRITISH PEOPLE LIKE

#1 Lucozade


What keeps all those spikey-haired youths so full of energy as they cruise their BMXes down the high street at all hours of the night? It's tempting to say they've merely been storing up by sitting in front of the 'telly' in their council flat all day, but look closer, and in the pocket of their baggy jeans/stripey hoody, you'll find the true source: the iconic red and yellow bottle.

There is no clear equivalent to Lucozade in North America - though it's natural to assume Gatorade would be similar, I have it on good authority, they differ vastly.

Having never tried it, the difference I can attest to is its ubiquity. Where Gatorade is typically confined the soccer field, Lucozade is the British teen's purse - it goes with him everywhere.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its true but the red and yellow bottle is the original flavor and its more of an acquired taste. The best one (for a north american tongue) is the orange and yellow bottle. Lucozade is fizzy also, which makes it a complete different experience to gatorade.

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid Lucozade was a health drink!

Anonymous said...

I thought of something else teen brits like.... 'music' that sounds like mini mouse on crack. Am I wrong?? It's the backround music of all public transportation in England...oozing out of their little ipod speakers....making me feel like I just drank coffee for two days straight and I'm on drugs. That's what it sounds like.

Anonymous said...

i don't like it. how about "ROY-BEENA" (Ribena). now that is some potent stuff. my profs used to slurp it while lecturing. kind of gross.

Amanda Lee Smith said...

YES! mickeymouse on crack and Ribena. Ribena induces a vomit reaction from me - I used to be forced to drink it in Africa when I was dehydrated after days of food poisoning. BLECH.

Anonymous said...

I love (ri)beena!!!

Not so keen on minney mouse on crack. Particularly when played on mobile phone speakers really loudly