Saturday, November 10, 2007

For the Love of Don

Temperatures reached an astonishing low on Thursday, after a pleasant week of tropical breezes. Just as I was growing accustomed to going scarfless, Baltic gale-force winds made their way into Aberdeen.

Wouldn't you know - Dean chose that day to nab us a pair of tickets to the AFC match against Locomotiv Moscow. For those of you not in the know (all but two of you I believe) AFC is Aberdeen's Football team - AKA the Dons, AKA the Reds.

The Dons have some fervent supporters - We know at least one Aberdonian who will not leave the house without at least one item of red clothing. On game day, fans stream up our street (not far from Pittodrie Stadium) in red & white striped scarves, shouting their indecipherable chants hours before the game's even begun.

On Thursday we were among the throng, shouting our own made up words to their ubiquitous tune. Snow flurries began moments before we scanned our tickets at the gate and persisted in push-you-over gusts on and off throughout the tie game. Our ears and toes and fingers froze (and were still tingling the morning after), but it was all worth it for the spectacle of thousands of Scots shouting in unison, fists in the air:

Stand free
Wherever you may be
Cos we are the famous Aberdeen

We don’t give a f***
Whoever you may be
Cos we are the famous Aberdeen

(Fortunately we had a Scottish friend along to translate)

What about the soccer, you ask? Well, it was alright. We scored one goal but I missed it... I was eyeing the steaming meat pie of the girl in front of me. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My respect for you increased greatly when I heard that you had stood in the ice cold wind and endured all 90 minutes of an AFC football match. I hope you got a Bovril at half time!

Harmonie said...

Sounds fun and cold! :)

Anonymous said...

Good post. It gave me a chuckle. Sounds like fun (except for the COLD part)!

Anonymous said...

Amazing, I can picture it. Those folks from the UK are serious about their football. The pastors, in every church I went to in England, found a way to fit soccer into their sermons (every Sunday)- it never failed.

Magdalena T said...

you guys are really living it up europe style. love reading about it!