Last week I took home my second paycheque - "took home," but haven't deposited, because I still don't have a bank account, though that's a whole different blog post.
Thanks to the UK's quirky once-monthly pay schedule, the arrival of paycheque #2 tells me that I have been working at Aberdeen College for two months now - thus I've received a two month crash course in British dialect.
There are little intricacies of language that differ between here and home - things I didn't notice until fully submerged in professional life here.
So I've created a little lexicon for your education:
North America
"Weekly staff meetings are on Thursdays"
Britain
'Weekly staff meetings are on a Thursday' (and by 'a thursday' they mean EVERY thursday)
North America
"I blog outside of work hours"
Britain
'I blog outwith work hours'
North America
"Meeting adjourned"
Britain
'Right. That's us' or just 'That's us'
North America
"Did you have any luck?"
Britain
'Did you have any joy?'
North America
"Phone him at 123 456 789"
Britain
'Phone him on 123 456 789'
North America
"These notes need to be typed"
Britain
'These notes need typed' (yes, they ignore two whole words!)
Other office peculiarities:
- their post-its don't stick
- their file folders are flimsy and don't have tabs!
- they have hour and a half lunch breaks (no complaints there)
- they don't use a 3-hole punch. Only 2 holes or 4 holes (it's not standardized like at home)
- most z's are replaced by s's (for example, a Brit would have written 'standardised')
- they use single quotations where we use double (see lexicon above)
Any other expats or former UK residents, care to add to the list?
SFGirl Says Farewell.
2 years ago
11 comments:
Who knew? Interesting post!
This is amazing. Chuckled so hard. Did I have any joy? Yes.
that's awesome! makes for interesting days I'm sure!
after years of being here, everything is starting to become normal to me. i noticed it a lot at first but now i'm not so sure. One thing that really bothers me still is "I'm going to Hospital" or "He's in Hospital". I just want to scream THE, THE, THE!!!!!
ahh! I would have found that a wee stressful if I were the one in a communications/writing job facing those kind of switches.
And post-its without the stickiness? i guess it's just paper clips all the time there then.
If only I could FIND a paper clip. They are awfully stingy with the office supplies around here!
oh dear.....shall I stash sticky post-its in my carry on for you ?!?
Welcome to the part of the world where we speak english almost perfectly, Inverness being the true epicenter of perfect english.
re. North America
"These notes need to be typed"
Britain
'These notes need typed' (yes, they ignore two whole words!)
I noticed this when living with Scots in France (yes, a weird situation - especially when you listen to a Scottish woman's fluent French - very garbled and throaty - ugly, to say the least). However, I took a liking to this habit and made it one of my own. I brought it home to Canada and (for example) proudly say to those who need help with something, 'What needs done?' Or to my Creative team for the magazine, 'What needs fixed?'
A mighty little grammatical habit that turns heads, I dare say.
Enjoy your egg nog latte!
PS - I agree with Katrina. THE hospital!
They end their quotes funny, too:
Here: "These notes need to be typed."
There: "These notes need to be typed".
Post a Comment